5 Ways to Keep Your Child Relaxed During a Dental Appointment
All parents want the best for their children, and that includes making sure they enjoy good oral health and keep their smiles healthy for a lifetime. Going to the dentist twice each year for examinations and cleanings are an important part of keeping smiles healthy.
When visiting a children’s dentist, Metairie parents want their kids to have as pleasant an experience as possible. Here are some tips for keeping your child relaxed during a dental appointment.
Keeping Kids Calm in the Dental Chair
1. Be positive about the dentist by being upbeat about visits there. Don’t let your own fears reflect onto your children.
2. Start taking your child to the dentist at an early age. Most children’s dentists recommend bringing children in as soon as their first tooth erupts. This is primarily a way for children to grow accustomed to sitting in the dental chair and letting the dentist examine their mouths.
3. Talk about what will happen during a visit to the dentist so children know what to expect. This goes a long way in relieving potential anxiety. You might also “play” dentist at home, letting your child sit in a reclining chair and pretending to clean and examine their teeth.
4. Make trips to the dentist fun by bringing along a favorite toy or book. Sometimes a stuffed “buddy” can help children feel much more comfortable when they take a spin in the dental chair.
5. Get help if you need it. If you suffer from severe dental anxiety, ask your partner or another family member to take your child to the dentist. Don’t “teach” your own child to be afraid of the dentist.
Call a Children’s Dentist in Metairie
Visit Dr. Margaret Patterson, an experienced children’s dentist, to help ensure your children develop good oral health care habits that last a lifetime. Call Oak Family Dental today!