One of the best things you can do for your child is to make sure they have a positive start with their dental care.This includes supporting them in their oral health habits by taking them to the dentist regularly and helping them brush and floss their teeth.
Of course, another critical part of helping your child enjoy good oral health is monitoring their diet and their eating habits. Much of the good that’s done in the dentist’s office can quickly be undone by poor food choices at home.
Limit Sugar in Your Child’s Diet
You probably already know that too much of the wrong kind of sugar is bad for your child’s teeth. But it isn’t the sugar itself that’s the problem; bacteria in your child’s mouth feed on sugar and produce acid. It is the acid that eats away at dental enamel and leads to cavities. The longer the acid is allowed to remain in the mouth, the more damage it will do. That’s why dentists tell parents not to allow kids to sip on sugary apple juice all day long.
Helping Your Child Make Healthy Choices
Some other steps you can take to limit sugar in your child’s diet are:
- Educate yourself about sugar in the foods your child consumes. Learn to read nutrition labels, and make a habit of checking them so you know what your child is consuming.
- Limit sugary foods and drinks and don’t allow your child to suck on a bottle filled with sugary liquid throughout the day, and don’t ever allow them to fall asleep with a juice-filled bottle.
- Have plenty of nutritious snacks on hand so the only choices your kids have for snacking are healthy foods.
- If your child likes to chew gum, make sure it’s sugarless. Chewing sugarless gum after meals helps increase saliva flow and wash away food particles and acid.
- Ask your dentist about the benefits of a fluoride application or dental sealants.
Please Call Us to Arrange A Visit
At Oak Family Dental, we offer comprehensive pediatric dentistry to help kids in the Metairie, LA area enjoy the healthiest smile possible. If you have questions about your child’s oral health or would like to arrange a visit, please call us. We’re here to help!