Tooth loss among adults is a fairly common problem in this country. If you are one of many who are missing one or more teeth, you might have wondered about your tooth replacement options.
Hands down, dental implants are the best way to restore the form of your smile and the function of your teeth.
If you are a Metairie resident wondering about dental implants, you probably know that they are a good option for replacing missing teeth. But here are five facts about dental implants that you might not know:
What You Might Not Know about Dental Implants
1. Dental implants can save your periodontal health. Because dental implants are permanently placed into the jawbone, your body continues to send nutrients to the area, stimulating the bone. Your dental implants will be just as comfortable years down the road as they were initially. Your gums and jawbone remain healthy and strong.
2. Dental implants can make you look younger. When your jawbone is healthy, it maintains itself and stays strong. Without the stimulation of tooth roots, however, the bone structure loses density and becomes weak. Also known as “facial collapse,” this gives people with missing teeth an aged, sunken-in look.
3. Dental implants can save you money. Without tooth roots to keep stimulating your jawbone, it will deteriorate over the years. The changes in your jawbone mean your once snug-fitting dentures become lose and will need to be adjusted—probably many times.
4. Dental implants are the most natural-looking replacement option for missing teeth. Although today’s dentures look better than ever, nothing looks as close to your natural tooth as a dental implant
5. Dental implants can save your remaining, healthy teeth. If you are missing just one or two teeth, it might be tempting to let it go. But when there are spaces in your mouth left by missing teeth, the health of your other teeth is compromised. When teeth are missing, those remaining have a tendency to move, causing a host of other issues, such as bite problems, uneven wear, and periodontal issues.
Find Out More about the Benefits of Dental Implants
Talk to your Metairie dentist Dr. Margaret Patterson about dental implants. Give us a call today!