Other uses include:
- Capping a treated tooth following root canal treatment
- Capping a tooth to conceal imperfections like discoloration
- Capping a dental implant post as the final step in implant dentistry
- Fixing a dental bridge to healthy adjacent teeth
A dental crown is a cap that goes over the tooth stopping at the gumline. It is shaped and colored to look like your natural teeth and is always indistinguishable.
Because dental crowns play such a vital role in dentistry, it only makes sense that they should be long-lasting—and with proper care, they can be. Dental crowns can last for up to five years or even for life.
We recommend keeping gums and mouth healthy to keep your crown functional:
- Visit the dentist every six months for your dental exams and professional teeth cleanings.
- Brush and floss your teeth at least two times every day or following each meal.
- Talk to your dentist if your crown feels loose or you notice swelling or other changes.
- Avoid chewing ice or using your crown or teeth for unintended purposes like opening bottles.
Contact Your Metairie, LA Dentist
If you have a weak or fractured tooth, talk to your dentist about treatment, including dental crown placement. Additionally, we offer same-day dental crowns in Metairie!